Friday, July 12, 2013

Summer 2013


Geodes!!!! Logan has had a mixed bag of emotions this summer. He's bored grocery shopping, and there have been a lot of trips! With a new family restaurant, they go with their grandpa to the store every Wednesday and Thursday morning, and then often come with me on Friday mornings to get groceries for our family as well. He started summer writing a huge book report in his binder, and will do xtra math online. He's also breezing through the random worksheets I print out. I forgot to buy a workbook for him, I have one for Sylvie this year. But basically he has been sporadic on learning, reading and writing. 

So I enjoy the opportunity to think outside the box a bit. We did a Swiss Family Robinson unit and I had the kids write up what they would bring on their island adventure. Then we watched the movie, which was really fun. I love watching classic Disney movies with the kids and really chatting about them over the following days. At a trip to the zoo, Logan came across a geode that was sliced in half and polished. His obsession was strong and all-encompassing. When I checked Amazon, they had kits where you break open a geode with real tools. So it somehow found its way to our Amazon cart and to our front door. The excitement was high as Jorge was home and we got to do this cool project right away when we returned home for the day. Geodes are a lot of fun and it was great breaking them open. 

I love that Logan takes interest in things outside of video games. I know summers are good for relaxing, for exercise, and for fun. But sometimes he misses his friends, competition, and the thrill of playing against someone who is not related to him. Basketball has been a good fit, and today we're planning a water gun fight. We're all signed up for soccer in the fall- super excited for that! Between the new puppy and getting ready for back to school, these last 40 days of summer should fly by. 

No comments: