Tuesday, May 1, 2012

First comes love, then comes marriage.....

Logan: "Mom, how old do you have to be to marry?"
Me: "Usually 18."
Logan: "I'm not going to get married."
Me: "You could marry a boy."
Logan: "I'm going to marry a boy."
Sylvie: "Do the boys have to kiss?"
Me and Logan: "Yes."
Sylvie: "Logan, will you kiss a boy."
Logan: "Yes, I will kiss the boy I will marry."

It's funny in this day and age I try to be a bit open with kids on various family types. Not all kids have a mom and dad. Some have a mom and a sperm donor, or live with family or are adopted. Some have two moms or two dads. I tell the kids all babies come from a woman's belly, but some kids are adopted. Sylvie has decided she would like to adopt a kid. Not a baby. A girl kid. Like 5 years old. She freaked out at the damage done to my poor belly while pregnant.

I do spare telling them a few things. Like explaining that there has been a man who was pregnant. And a dad who breastfed. In the news today. It's like telling them some babies are born with 2 heads. Yes that can happen, but the chances of them running into that in the next 5 years or so, is so minimal it's definitely not worth saying "yes" to that question if they ask.

No comments: