I've got a month left with my 9 year old and then on to a new era.....
Wow, age 10!!!!!! It seems so "double digits...." How the heck did I get through a decade of my son's life already? I want to do some of it again just for kicks. He was such a sweet kid through all the years and now it's been super busy here so he has to push (figuratively) for his attention a bit, and I feel bad. And then there is the freedom he has and independance. And kids come knock at our door and call on the phone to play with him- what's that all about? How did he get old enough for that?
The other day I was with all 3 in a CVS right near the middle school at 3 pm. We were standing in line and getting things among a group of 3 boys who were buying snacks. No mom in sight. They knew just what to do. Dropped their backpacks at the door like the store requests. Paid and didn't overspend. And asked for double-bags so they didn't lose the candy and ice cream on their bike rides home. I'm looking at my toddler in my arms. And my 7 year old still eyeing the toys. And then looked to my son who could have walked right up to that group and fit right in given a few extra inches in height. He fit more in with the middle-schoolers than the mom and her kids group. So nutty!
Logan- I'm so very proud to be your mom. You are constantly thinking, not really questioning but seeing things in a new light. You are interested in so many things. This week's excitement is in medieval times. So you made a whole set of "cards" with paper that represent kings and queens and knights and dragons. Brick walls and moats of lava. Each has a point value and there are rules to the game. You play multiplication "war" with a deck of cards and get excited about how many Jack's you have or that you have all of one suit.
This morning I was describing the Olympics ceremony where they shot the flaming arrow from the torch into the cauldron and you lit up hearing such a thing. I showed you the video and your whole brain starting ticking thinking of types of bows and arrows and flaming things you could add to your card collection.
Every morning you wake early, watch tv and snuggle with your stuffed animals, give me a hug when we run into each other. Make yourself breakfast. Pack the lunches into the backpacks for me. Play with Carly. And tell me "Mom, I just can't wait to go to school today....." and you always have some great thing you are looking forward to. You love school, I am so very happy. I think 4th grade is a good fit for you, and I hope you always have a love for learning and school.
It's been a wild 10 year ride of being a parent and you aren't the only child to keep me on my toes. You have stood in line next to your two sisters and a puppy, the house, 2 careers, and of course things like family obligations. And yet you still just maintain a happy life, a good sense of self, and you are always there to hug us and tell us some amazing thing or fact that makes the moment right.
I love you my Logan. My sweet sweet boy. Keep your head high and know we are all here for you. Always.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment