Friday, March 7, 2014

Waking UP


When Venice wakes up, it's usually because Carly the dog has woken her and she's not usually happy about that. So she's clingy, whiney, demanding, and wants me to carry her around to carefully selected locations. We get downstairs and there is a 10 minute discussion of which sippy cup to select and what to put in it. Sylvie was my milk princess. She was intolerant for awhile but once she got going, by late age 2 and age 3 she would devour milk. It relaxed her. Venice and liquids are a bit different, especially in the mornings. I think the problem is she doesn't actually love many drinks. Sure she would like a frozen mango smoothie but that's not happening at 5 am before coffee! So trying to get the dog out and putting her down on the stool for a moment so I can use the bathroom are met with big giant tears and screams. It's chaotic, it's frustrating, it's annoying, it's loud.


Last night around 3 am I couldn't sleep. I decided to head downstairs for a few minutes and drink something, try to get rid of some heartburn. Well Carly popped right up to her baby gate pawing gently at it to let me know "ME TOO!"

I brought her down with me, let her out, she came right back in. We were in sync. She was quiet, walking around after me as I fixed the heat, got something to drink, settled onto the couch. She didn't even try to jump on the couch, just nuzzled into my lap a bit for a pet. But it was so quiet I realized!

Lesson to be told: toddlers are loud and demanding. Dogs can be too, but when it comes down to it the dog is more concerned for your needs and if you are okay if things are out of routine than a toddler.

It was kind of nice to have a pup to hang out with until I fell asleep again.


6:05 the house was ablaze with activity again. Logan was getting dressed and slamming the lid of the hamper, Carly knew he was awake and was desperate for his attention. The dog actually woke Sylvie up and then of course the rest of us were up as well. Crazy crazy busy days. But really, isn't that what life is about? I guess we'll rest..... eventually.


1 comment:

Samantha of the Ojibirish11 said...

I keep going back and forth on getting a dog! Your post made an argument for both in my mind :-)

And yes, we WILL rest one day.