Saturday, May 16, 2015

New... Old Job

I lost my job in October due to a lack of work. I had really enjoyed this job and I had a hard time letting it go. So by December I had a new job and big hopes  that this would be a good fit. Bigger company, they had more work, bigger projects, a traditional firm that used the software I enjoyed. Full time meant a huge change and we headed full-force into this new stage of life.

Well wouldn't you know this was the winter of everyone being sick all the time. Even I was out for the count for an entire weekend and dragged myself into a walk-in clinic to find out I had a sinus infection and bronchitis. Ugh. All of the kids each had something or more than one something. Jorge had multiple things including kidney stones. Our parent babysitters also had things going on. Full time for me meant Jorge took a lot of days off!

And the job wasn't a great fit. It was a big learning curve at first, and then well, you can't really discuss logistics on a public website but it wasn't bringing me joy or enjoyment or fulfillment. I'm just shy of 6 months in and I have given my notice. I was asked back to my old job and jumped at the opportunity. I'll be starting back in my favorite place to work- Oak Park. Should be crazy being back in action and also see some old projects.

My kids have seen so much interviewing, job hunting, working hard to make a career- I'm hoping this is at least a life skill that they can learn from, that if the first real job isn't fulfilling, try try again! And not to burn bridges because you never know when you'll go back to an old job. For me this is the 3rd time I've gone back, and I had interviewed before I took the job the first time but accepted a different job. It's been a long time to say the least. I guess I know a good thing when it's here!

No comments: