Friday, August 14, 2009

Conversations with a Curious Sylvie...

Watching Peter Pan, some remake...."Mom, do we have that pirate ship on our planet? Do pirate ships really fly?" "Yes.""Are there real pirate ships?""Yes. Just not real pirates."

Last night after she couldn't fall asleep, sparked by watching 'The Land Before Time' movie... "Mom, are dinosaurs real?" "Yes, they are real, but they lived a long long time ago, and they are all dead now." "But they can't come to our house?" "No, they are not alive, they lived a million years ago." "They lived 30 days ago?" "No, a million years ago." "Oh. Why did all the dinosaurs die?" "Because God decided that it was time for some people to live here to he waited til all the dinosaurs got old and didn't make any new baby dinosaurs and a long time later he put people on the earth instead. We know about dinosaurs because we found their bones."

Flashing back to when I was 12 babysitting for a family, I spent a few weekends explaining Fantasia and the meaning behind it to a 6 year old. And he was obsessed with reading about dinosaurs. I was relaying back a particularly funny comment to the mom and the mom said "Wait, now, were dinosaurs real?" So yeah, I think I had better start mentioning that one to Sylvie and Logan now so someday they can be smarter than their 5th grade babysitter!

No comments: