Friday, August 14, 2009

Tales from the Vertically Challenged.....

That would be me. All 5 feet, 1/2" inch of me. It doesn't really bother me on a daily basis. We live in a world of handicap accessibility and Ankle-length pants. But in the past few days a few things have come up.

*Kohler Presentation: As in the toilet manufacturer. Despite the giggles and hilarity involved in any formal discussion of flushing, "grams of solid waste" at work, I promise it relates. There was talk about the direction water-management is taking and one thing they mentioned is a government-mandated move towards universality by making all new toilets "comfort height." For the record, that means about an 18 inch high base toilet when the current ones are 14" base height. Somehow by 2011 I don't see the bottom portion of my legs growing an additional 4 inches. I may have to start hoarding toilets.

*SUV: We got a loaner and MAN that thing was high. It's the same car I have but a different model. I couldn't get comfy because I couldn't put my seat low enough to drive with my heel on the floor. So I was hovering with my foot over the gas pedal to be able to see over the dashboard. Totally not a good fit for me and after driving for only 30 minutes, I had a pinpoint muscle ache from sitting incorrectly in the car. I also had to haul my body up and into the car, where with my slightly smaller SUV I just lift up onto my toes a bit and I'm in.

*Convenience shopping. Stopping back from an errand for the crucial gallon of milk, I reached up to grab something else from the dairy case and couldn't reach it! I could ask an employee, but the 5 people in line would not have been happy. So I asked another guy nearby to reach it. Only he had no idea what I was saying and his friend helped me. He could barely reach it either! Geesh!

Maybe I need to start wearing more heels! I do have a few pair for the colder months, but in summer I'm more of a flats and gym shoes kinda gal.

No comments: