"Mom, do you know where I'm going to live when I grow up?" "Where?" "Here in this house. With you." Ah, the optimism and idealism of a little boy who loves his mommy:)
But it also makes me think about having to leave here someday or hand the home over to someone else would be a sad day. We've left our mark. I have tick-marks up the closet door jambs marking Logan's growt
h from 17 months to 6 years. And Sylvie from age 2 to almost 4.

The person we bought the house from lived her for a few decades and put the addition on it. She had 2 boys and cut a door into the "nursery" and closed it back in when it wasn't needed. Her husband had a workbench all organized with tools, pegs and rows of containers with different nails and screws taped on for identification. They left the tool bench. They left the addition. They left the old appliances and the new ones. We have made our mark as well. We've added a pretty paver patio. Painted and changed out flooring. Knocked apart a countertop in the kitchen to fit a big family sized fridge there. Had a dead tree removed and added plants.
I like to think that someday when we leave here we'll leave a cd or data of some sort with a history of the house, then and now. It fascinates me that a place can be so solid and so fluid at the same time.

1 comment:
Well, you know how much I love talking about houses. I've started to get sad & excited about our next move. We've been in our house for 2 yrs and a wk. Our longest is 2 yrs, 2 months, so we're getting there... and we put this house on the market in Feb. We've made this house more of a home than any of our past houses and we love it. But.. we've decided on the new floorplan and found land for the new house and it's going to be even better! It's crazy for most people, but I'm already looking past the next house and to the house after that (which we plan to stay in for 5 yrs!) We'll move into it in 2012 and then stay put!
In the meantime, we're making tons of memories in this house and I'm trying to capture them like crazy. We love this house so much (and I have soo many pics of it), that I'm thinking of making a photobook of it. Yes, I know, I (almost) think of our houses like another child. ;)
Happy Thanksgiving! (And sorry for the novel!!)
Post a Comment