Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The danger of residential architecture....

The danger of doing residential architecture is that you WANT the houses! AAAAH! Well not all of them of course, but there sure are some cool homes out there! This week I got to see the "almost done" version of a high rise we worked on. Lots of shopping and cabinetry design, and it's looking great! The lifestyle of living along the lake is fun, but I am not interested in that right now. So.... maybe when I'm an empty nest!

Today we measured a house in the historical area of Oak Park. Gorgeous home! Well, it will be even more awesome once they do some of the fun architectural work of course! For all the great parts of the home, they didn't have the open kitchen/family room that we have - toys were in the basement. It made me so happy we have our main floor family room. Such a luxury. If we ever move, we'll miss it for sure if the new place does not have something similar. I personally would love bedrooms that are big enough to hold a few more toys but can't be picky right?

I really love "learning" these homes while measuring them. My boss and I feel like it's a discovery opening closets, finding laundry chutes, etc. Glad to have this opportunity. It's funny, walking through a beautiful home, makes you jealous. Makes you picture your own family in the home. So I start thinking "do we want a historical home eventually?" Then reality sets in that one thing I can't wait to get away from is the old-house-issues! A nice modern home sounds SO GOOD right about now. Especially with a bit of water in the basement, a garage that is falling apart, a roof that is curling up, and walking around seeing every single room needs repainting. It's a love-hate thing I tell you. Sigh.


No comments: