I was multi-tasking as usual. Making steaks on the grill and baking sweet potatoes in the oven to make a sweet potato casserole. I came in from outside and went to grab the sweet potatoes. I had a cookie sheet in the level below them so it could catch any drippings (which seems to happen). So I grabbed that first with my potholder. Well...or so I thought. Make that....I grabbed that flaming hot cookie sheet with my left hand! Aaah!!!!! Ouch! I dropped it right away and quickly got the potatoes out and my hand under water.
Meanwhile the kids came in with me so they started barraging me with requests for everything - juice, certain tv shows, a pony, a massage....you name it. I had to tell them I was hurt and needed to take care of my hands first. Logan quickly said "I'm a good boy and I'll sit here." Sylvie was relentless and I was starting to freak out from the pain. She wanted juice. She wanted mommy to hold her. She wanted marshmallows. She wanted attention. AAAAAAHHHHHH!
I started thinking of the recent stories of moms I have read about who had their kids present during childbirth and how the hell they dealt with a whiney child during those worst pain moments. And thought....that's what the deep breathing is for. To block out the whining. I get it now.
So I, who have apparently not mastered the techniques of the hypnotic childbirth methods, threatened a time out, asked her to please please please go find something to play. And when all that failed and the "Mommy....Mommy....Mommy....Mommy" started I asked her "WHAT!?!?!?!" and she said "Mommy,....I'll be like this 'shhhhhhh.'" Meaning she would be quiet for me. Thank goodness she was and she got her hug as soon as I got some massive ice packs on my hand. It took all evening but now the pain is almost gone, just a weird sensation in my hand.
But....in true supermom fashion I will let you know that with an ice pack in my left hand and in a lot of pain I managed to skin the sweet potatoes, guide the kids in putting the chunks into the kitchenmaid mixer. Warm the milk, melt the butter, mix it all together, spray sweet potatoes OUT of the mixer all over the place, cook it in the oven, cook the steaks on the grill and clean up toys. Oh, and play outside and give the kids baths. I am truely the supermom I was meant to be tonight. Now let's hope I can go back to regular old MOM tomorrow!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Dang, girl, you are amazing!
Sorry about the hand. OUCH.
Post a Comment