1- Clean Up
Logan and I have had all-out battles where he does NOT want to clean up. Today I kept saying "in a minute we'll clean some of this up." But then 100 things took precedence. So finally it was time. I decided to turn on YouTube with Barney's "Cleanup" song to get them going. It went pretty well. Logan did defiantly decide he was "too tired" and a threat of putting his toys into time out worked. Even though he said "I don't like toys anymore" I just said "I don't mind if you don't like the toys, you still need to clean them up because I don't want to trip on them." and it worked! At some point Sylvie was saying "Mom, Logan's not putting any toys away." to which he responded "Shhh...Sylvie, you're not supposed to tell mom that! She has to see it herself." But then he started cleaning again.
2-YouTube gone wrong
I'm very aware that YouTube holds some very inappropriate content. Like vidoes that start with Elmo's theme song from Sesame Street and then cut to Tickle Me Elmo on fire. I've learned to pause the video and scroll to the comments and you usually get a good sense of what the video contains. So I was cleaning up with the kids and went to put some toys by the basement stairs and decided to haul them all the way down. I'm down there and hear "Mom, Barney is over!" followed by more Barney music. I'm calling up not to touch buttons but of course it was too late. My computer guru (Sylvie) had figured out how to click some picture of Barney. I came running up and over to the computer telling them they can't press computer buttons without mommy there next time. Sure enough it was some video clip called "Censored Barney" with some bleeping sounds. I don't have a clue how inappropriate it was, but they only saw about a minute. It looked like the Barney song made into a swearing barney song or some such nonsense. At least it wasn't visually inappropriate, but consider this your warning Mommies, you tube is dangerous territory!
3-Line Dancing
Sylvie likes to usurp the radio/cd player with Disney music. So when she is not demanding her music, I love to listen to some of my own. So I was enjoying some Billy Dean and decided to distract a fight between the two kids that was about to erupt with "Hey Logan, do you know how to Country Line Dance?" So I was attempting to show him and the kids were all giggly about it, I turned on some Garth Brooks and taught them a few fun steps. Granted, it has been a LONG time since I did this in a professional line-dancing bar. And I was never good at it. But hey, to the kids, I looked brilliant. We had SO MUCH FUN. And it was such a workout! Sashaying and dancing and spinning in circles and stomping around with them. Loud country music and happy kids. I hope my kids remember these moments because I sure will:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I've had similar experiences with YouTube. Here's a million-dollar idea - someone should develop TotTube. Totally kid-friendly videos!
And I LOL'd at Logan's answer to Sylvie telling on him about not putting away toys.
There probably wasn't anything offensive in the Barney video, I've seen somewhere where they have "Elmo Censored" and when he says "Thank You Baby" they bleep the "thank" part so if you are an adult you would think he was saying "f-you baby" It's pretty funny... though not for kids, obviously.
Love the idea of "TotTube" Becky!
Post a Comment