It started at age 2, we did Early Intervention where he ended up getting therapy sessions in my mother-in-laws house.
Then it moved to Early Childhood with testing and placement in the Phono class. 3 Days a week he went to Kensington and 2 days a week he got on a bus and went to Phono preschool. 5 days a week of papers, parties and treats and special days to coordinate, with things to practice at home from both schools.
Then he turned 4 and did the same thing all over again.
Then he turned 5 and while I wanted to pass him out of it, they weren't really offering the option. So we did phono again with the bus and the crazy schedule of 3 different schools to get 2 different children to on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
And finally I was able to get the school district to allow him to do therapy for 15-30 minutes a week during kindergarten hours! I was all worried that his Phono teacher would talk me out of it, and she said she agrees, he has improved enough to "GRADUATE" from phono!
I know it's a silly thing but this has been a part of our lives for 4 years and I guess I'm just taking this moment to revel in the fact that he has moved ON. We have survived, we have done a good thing and he is now in regular kindergarten with a mostly intelligible speech! I couldn't have done it without the grandparents. And it was worth it. This summer we had a meeting and they specifically said that all of our hard work (especially Logan's hard work!) has kept him out of Special Ed. Yeah for Logan!
He has always been my quirky backwards, do everything different than the books say, intense beyond belief for that first year to the point that I had to quit my job, adorable and not predictable boy. He has mellowed to a sweet boy beyond compare and now I can stop being the mom at the park who has to interject for him when the other kids don't understand. He talks to his friends on the playground and he talks a LOT more then ever before.
I just wanted to share my good news and send a note of encouragement for any mom in the group heading down the long road of "therapy" in any of its forms. It's so worthwhile to give your child a hand up when they need it so when all they want to do is be a "normal kindergartener" they have all the tools at their ready.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hey K,
That's really great news... Go LOGAN! I love that kid.
Yay Logan!! I don't get to hang out with him much but he has always been very sweet when I'm around him. Great job Kristin--you and Jorge did the right thing getting him the help he needed, I am happy for you guys!
(Do they have stubborn eaters therapy?)
That's great news! Congrats!
Post a Comment