A Parti or Parti pris [1] / from the French Prendre parti meaning " to make a decision " [2], often referred to as the big idea [3] , is the chief organizing thought or decision behind an Architect's design presented in the form of a basic diagram and / or a simple statement.
In school we did a few projects where we drew the floor plan emphasizing the main axis, the main ideas, the main gestures, with bolder lines. The diagram if you wish. But Parti sounded way cooler.
This week my friend is interviewing off in Seattle. I wish her luck. I saw the website for the firm she is interviewing and it brought back a flood of emotions. About what design was like in the great Pacific Northwest where you work hard to make your imprint on the earth small. . Where you color your house bright so it brings a smile to your face on even the dreariest of days. Reading the website reminded me of design in the school setting. About ideas and concepts, about parti's and perfection. Not that my current firm who does not strive for this, I guess in a way it's the nature of home additions and remodels. We work hard to fit into what is existing. And what is existing is suburban Chicago. And while plumbing fixtures bring their own sense of intrigue and satisfaction, there is no wow factor involved. Not to mention the day to day of correspondence, selections, permits, office politics. You know, the other side of what it takes to get something built.
I know there are a lot of unemployed architects right now. And more that are "settling" for projects and jobs. I guess I'm just not ready to drop the idealism that 7 years of college afforded me. After all, I'm still paying for school, why should that chapter be over? In a way I'm happy I haven't found that ideal job yet, it's a recession, the really amazing projects are only a glimmer in someone's eye. I'm just going to wait patiently until the economy turns for real, and I'll be the first in line ready and eager with my idealistic shoulders held high and my inspiration binder at my side.
A childcare center

An elevated train station. Wouldn't you like to start your morning commute with something fun and inspiring to look at?

A kiosk for information for architecture students.

Small gestures sometimes can be wonderful moments of inspiration.



1 comment:
I go to the Art & Architecture Building on campus here and see all the architectural models, and it reminds me of you and Jorge in school. Then I think "Man, someone is making a pretty penny selling balsa wood and foam core..."
Post a Comment