Tonight we went to a Halloween Party at the park district. We brought along a friend who is in 1st grade. All the kids were excited but a bit nervous about this enormous blow-up dracula we had to walk underneath to get into the party. Our little friend got inside and burst into tears! He said "Kristin, this might be too scary for me." Sylvie even let go of my hand to let me give him a big squishy hug. I told him we'd take it slow and it wasn't a haunted house, it was just games and we could ignore the other scary decorations for now. We gave him some breathing space and we all were happily waiting in line for typical carnival games. After the first candy prizes, all eyes were dry in our group.
I had been to a family picnic and met up with some friends last summer. One little boy was also around 6 or 7 and of course looked so old next to my little 4 year old! Anyway, his snowcone paper broke and he burst into tears.
I think when you start with little babies and watch them go from crying as their main form of communication to being so incredibly brave and verbal you forget that they get scared, sad and mad enough to cry. When this happens, it throws you for a loop! I kind of like it though because it reminds me that all kids are just kids, not just miniature adults, and they still need plenty of love, hugs and reassurance along the way, even at fun family events.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love comments! I think Ellie is going to be terrified of Halloween this year. Yea. You really can't blame kids (however old). Some of the stuff I see scares me! Happy Monday!
Post a Comment