I have an hour lunch. I get paid hourly and things are slow so I might as well fill the hour right? Since it's downright frigid out, I decided to get some popcorn I needed to get (and forgot to get this weekend) for Logan's preschool program. Who puts on preschool programs at 1:30 in the afternoon on a Wednesday? Thank goodness I will have grandparent attendance. I have gone to plenty of these programs but this one, I'll send in the grandparents. He'll be thrilled. The "programs" are very low-key anyway.
I digress...back to the lunchtime errand of popcorn. I was going to meet with a co-worker for lunch, but that's tomorrow now, so I figured I'd get something at Jewel (a local grocery store) and get the popcorn. This Jewel happens to be the absolutely most ginormous Jewel I have ever seen- holy cow!!! But right next door is the Hobby Lobby. In the 'burb I live in, things tend to be a bit more scaled down in size and our Michael's would probably fit in this Hobby Lobby's lobby. Yes, they had a LOBBY. Like 50 feet long and 10 feet wide with displays and doors and windows. Wow! I was impressed. I almost stopped in my tracks at the enormity of the actual store when I walked in. It is totally overwhelming. I almost ran back out but realized it would take me a good 10 minutes to get back through that lobby and to the popcorn aisle at the Jewel-on-crack, so I decided to trek on through.
I looked to the right. A third of the store was fake plants. One of my friends enjoys flower arranging and I have bought a fake flower or two to adorn a fun modern vase in my time. But seriously, this was like putting the Morton Arburetum in fake form inside of the store!
Looked to the left. Halloween. Only three aisles. No big clearance tags yet. Then Christmas. I actually really only buy decorations for the Christmas holiday, so this was fun and whimsical and did tug at the heartstrings a bit. I love making a holiday home...but wait. Just because it snowed yesterday does NOT mean it's time for Christmas yet does it? There have to be at least like 100 days left of shopping right?
Okay, deep breath. There's scrapbooking. Oooh I could spend a lot of money there and I haven't scrapbooked a lick in ...well, ever. I just like the paper. So let's avoid those 10 aisles.
Then...lots of arts and crafts. That's where I would get sucked into buying a ton of stuff for the kids. Let's skip it and say we did. Then....drafting supplies. Love those! So glad I don't have to buy any more of those. I think those companies own me by now after 7 years of college! All I can say, first week of college "go get the architecture 101 kit at the bookstore" "that will be $350 please." And then refill over and over for the next 7 years.
Okay, onto the good stuff. I'm very into quotes lately and I had better not get invited to one of those parties where moms tell you how sweet your home will look covered in words because I will have to declare bankruptcy after...or at least answer to Jorge why the heck our home needs words all over the place. Sweet simple. Love it!
Cloth! Fabric! I have a few projects in my head to I'm not just wandering as aimlessly here, in these 12 aisles, I have some missions and I'm taking mental notes on the prices. I feel a tug at the old memory of making curtains and a cover for the futon in Logan's room when I was pregnant. I was so proud of these beauties. When we sold the house, the couple requested the curtains and I knew they were to be left, but it still was hard to let them go! But alas, they were getting married and loved the idea of Logans' room as their future baby's room so how could I squalsh that dream? Instead I made the realtor promise to tell them not to look too closely at the hems!
It made me miss some craftiness I have inside. But it also made me realize while I am busy with a life of being a mom and CEO of my castle, I still find time to be crafty. Be it presents for others, a cute craft project for the kids, or a little impromptu sketch of what we could to do remodel the house (or 50 of those), I keep my mind afire. I saw a show on TLC about women who needed help organizing or with some issue. This particular woman was too OCD about everything with her kids and had forgotten to enjoy them. I don't have that particular problem. I will gladly put those dishes off for some coloring. With markers. But she started a list of all the things she liked to do pre-kids. And I am happy to say my list is something that I still try to incorporate in my life. With my kids.
I didn't buy anything at Hobby Lobby but I will. After I figure out how much fabric I need to make 2 capes for 2 superheroes from their mommy at Christmas. Better get cracking but I can't wait to see them open them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
"But she started a list of all the things she liked to do pre-kids. And I am happy to say my list is something that I still try to incorporate in my life. With my kids."
That there's good stuff. :)
Oh, and Hobby Lobby rocks.
It's a good thing we don't have any Hobby Lobby stores here. If we did, I'd just have to sign my whole paycheck over to them! Sounds like an awesome store.
Post a Comment