Friday, October 3, 2008

Pump it Up party!

I figured I'd give our first experience for a Pump it Up bday party a review...
+ Clean! Clean bathrooms with two stepstools including one for Sylvie's height. They made the kids use hand sanitizer before eating
- Good rhythm to the party, but hard to predict. It was a bit confusing. They started in one room and moved to another. The shoes were moved to the next room, but my kids had their shoes on because they stopped at the bathrooms so we came back to an empty shoe rack.
-Should have been one small single bathroom in the main room. Only room was in the lobby. Not a great idea to leave the kids alone if you are the only parent with them
+ Sylvie normally wouldn't have enjoyed an experience like this but if I wanted Logan to go, she had to come too. She has done bouncy things, but she's just scared by the mass chaos. The first room had a big flat jumpy area outside of one of the bounce houses for her to jump on with me holding onto her. The second room had a few little cars you can drive around- so cute! She loved that. I hate that most indoor playlands are made for older kids with no provisions for the younger ones or assume all kids are going to go jumping feet first into a ball pit or tunnels. Until you have shy quiet kids or ones with balance issues (Logan) to overcome, then you don't quite get it.
+Time of day of the party. To save $ getting the weekday rate I'm sure, the party was on a Friday from 4-6. Worked for us.
-Having a party at that time of the day and then only serving cupcakes and candy treatbags. My kids didnt' have any desire to eat anything healthy after the party for dinner. It was much later that I got Logan to eat some veggies. Sylvie went to bed with only cupcake frosting in her tummy.
+Serving cupcakes- easier than cake for serving 22 kids.
-Serving drinks and giving a choice in open cups. If I do a party like this, I'll go for juicebox type drinks. It was chaotic as the parents all listened to the kids screaming for their drink of choice. Plus, the ENTIRE cup of Logan's applejuice landed on Logan's lap.
-Opening presents. At Chuck E Cheese last year for same child's bday, they didn't open gifts. This year bday child sat in the chair and all the kids got to see the gifts. I thought it was cute and well-done. Dad and mom got to take pics and write down who gifted what. The employee/helper did all the helping. Help unwrapping, put all gifts into a big bag to bring home, trash went into a trash bin on the other side. Kids really enjoyed sitting in front of bday boy watching unwrapping.
-Noisemakers. For the love of god....in an enclosed area, do NOT provide 22 children with noisemakers!!!! Ugh almighty!
-Climbing wall- pretty cool experience that they had this. IT was the type with a harness and ropes and such. But three kids caught their pant-legs on the climb up and were hanging upside down. That could be remedied simply by putting these little straps around pant legs that they sell for bikers. Three kids!

All in all, Logan played well in the play areas. Sylvie did decently as well. Logan was totally and completely overwhelmed by all the craziness of the cake and presents. Thus him not paying attention and spilling applejuice all over himself. I really really see the difference between a 7 year old and an almost 5 year old. I'm thinking if Logan has a party with friends, it won't be 22 kids and it won't be at a place like this for a few more years!!!!

There's my review!

No comments: