Sunday, April 19, 2009

Backyard Climbers

I had a swingset growing up and I know how wonderful they can be. It seems every house in America has one nowadays, often the wooden variety. We have a smaller yard with lots of trees, so we have decided that the nice grassy area is better for running games of soccer than a big ol' gymset. Plus, we have a park practically in sight from our house with a big climber and swings.

Today I saw the Toys R Us ad and I have to say I'm impressed by the direction the designs are taking. I have seen a trampoline with a jumping bar on one set, rock climbing walls have been out for awhile. But the "playhouse" portion of the typical wooden set has usually been a tarp over the top. Which wears out. And then the wood on the set fades and it looks like it needs upkeep (at least to me). My neighbors did use a blue stain and their gymset looks adorable and fresh. These new ones have little playhouse-looking tops. And they are really cute! Not that I want one, just happy to see what I consider fun designs going up in the backyards across America:)



1 comment:

C. Beth said...

The top one is very similar to the one we bought at Toys "R" Us last summer.

And, this is embarrassing--but it's still not up! The Engineer has started putting it together, recently, and has put stakes in the back yard to mark where it's going to go. But it's a MUCH larger project than I realized it would be. You have to put down thick mulch; the area has to be leveled; we'll have to cap off some of the sprinkler heads; parts of the playscape require two people to put together. It's a PAIN! But I can't wait for it to be up!