Friday, January 29, 2010

Addition, Not Subtraction

Logan has been into the idea of math. So I have been writing equations for him most mornings, he gets all excited. I think he understands the concept as well. I'm pretty into taking things a step further and trying something new, and I always have to remember to ask him first. This is the boy who took a whole year writing his name with the lightest pencil weight barely visible until he felt like he had mastered his name, and then we could move onto new letters and words.

So anyway, after I wrote an addition equation for him, he handed me the paper and asked me to write another. I wrote a subtraction equation for him and he was very upset. First he thought I messed up, which is really good that he knew I had written the wrong answer! Then I showed him with my fingers about subtraction, and he totally understood what I was saying and kind of gulped and sulked and thought on it.

Then I got a nice lecture on how this was unacceptable and all equations should be addition today. So I erased the answer, made the subtraction symbol an addition symbol and revised the result. What a kid. He's got his own way of thinking, doing and understanding. I can't wait to see how he does through school.

And speaking of school he's doing well! He's starting to get his sight words and patterning under his belt and doing well with capital letters. He needs a bit of extra help with lower case letters and recognizing some of the larger numbers in written form. His social and motor skills are all excellent:)

No comments: