So are almost all of you feeling like you're hanging on by a thread? Or is it just me? I love the line in "One Fine Day" where Michelle Pfeiffer says "I have all these balls in the air and I can't stop or they will start falling down...." Totally true. I'm blessed blessed blessed to have a part-time job, and have a few days a week to catch up so we can enjoy family time on the weekends, not laundry, groceries and visit the dentist time.
So it's not totally the idea that I can't stay on top of cleaning the house or getting groceries or doing Preschool homework for 2 different schools for Logan. It's the other stuff. The big projects that loom unwanted. Filling out 20 hours of paperwork for my architectural license. Ordering transcripts from 2 colleges. Finding new doctors and making appointments. Cleaning up the basement that is pulled apart after the floods when we threw everything up high. Starting on some cool homemade Christmas projects.
And the big stuff I need to figure out how to incorporate into my life. Exercising more regularly now that it's frigid cold and wet outside. Finding foods my kids will eat and meal planning and coupon clipping. I can do really well with this when I do it. I saved $45 on one trip recently by taking advantage of sales, coupons, etc. As the kids get older, I am feeling a tug towards "raising" them well. It's not just feeding, cleaning and wiping them anymore. Nor is it just stories and teaching patience at taking turns. I am finding it hard to teach them about this unknown "Jesus," explaining church and traditions, dealing with sibling rivalry.
Logan is not an easy pupil. I found a book I am trying to track down about boys and how to help them succeed in school. I think however tough this year is, next year will be a doozy. If he's interested, he's tuned in. If he's not interested, oy vey. He had some homework this weekend where we had to discuss Thanksgiving and put things in a bag that he thinks we would need on the Mayflower. I am the type of mom who will always try to get him to do his own homework. If they ask for a story and he tells me one, but it strays from topic, so be it. I'll write what he says. I found some images online and a quiet time during this birthday weekend and started talking to him about the Mayflower and Thanksgiving. The conversation went something like this....
Me: "I want to tell you about our country. Remember, you live in a city and a country. Well, a long time ago, there were Native American Indians here. They look like this. And this other group called the Pilgrims, they wanted to see if there was gold here, so they rode across the big ocean and found our country."
Logan: "Mom! I have 3 Star Wars Guys. I need Darth Vader. I yike that green guy. What's his name? "
Me:"Yoda. I'm so excited that you got great Star Wars toys for your birthday. Let's talk about the Pilgrims.....blah blah pilgrims" (It doesn't matter what I said, he wasn't listening at ALL).
Logan: "Blah, Blah Star Wars....."
Me: "Wow that's neat about Star Wars." (Insert some verbage that makes the pilgrims as interesting as possible).
Logan: "So mom, can we get more Star Wars guys?"
Me:"Logan, this is your homework. If you were stuck on a boat for 30 days, what would you want with you."
Logan: Blank Stare
Me: "Okay, maybe something for your tummy. "
Logan: Yeah, whatever mom.
Me: "And something soft and comfy"
Logan: (crying): "I don't need Blue Blankey. I give it to Sylvie"
Me: (in the interest of just getting the darn homework done): "Okay, what about teddy, food and a tool to fix the ship"
Logan: collects the stuff and spends the next 20 minutes deciding the tool he really needs on the Mayflower is a clamp. Yeah, maybe.
Okay, that was a novel, but I know you laughed right? I'm thinking a trip to the library is on my agenda soon to find that book about teaching boys. Because as a preschool teacher right now for boys, I am failing miserably!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sounds fun and a lot like a little boy in my care now. He will go off on random things even though it doesn't relate to what I asked or said. LOL
I understand about the balls in the air too. I have a paper due Monday that I KNOW I need to finish but I keep putting it off. I wonder if someone else will do it for me? LOL
Kristin, That sounds like every boy I have ever known! John is 6 1/2 and draws Pokemon in his school journals instead of writing. I think all boys are easily distractable and you just wait a couple of days, he heard everything you said about the pilgrims I know it. You are doing a great job! We are all just hanging on for dear life and trying to figure out each day as it comes!
Post a Comment