Friday, November 21, 2008

Surviving Winter- Part 1

Since I have survived a few winters now with kids corralled indoors, I figured I'd post a few things as they come to me about what we did to bide the time and still have fun! Boy do I miss going outside though!

Indoor Games:
* Beach Ball: With a beach ball you can play volleyball over the couch, baseball with any kind of non-destructive stick (we have a few plastic tubes and a wrapping paper tube would work well!), you could hold a blanket like a parachute and "pop" the ball and catch it. We have a parachute that works well for this game

* Bowling- is such a fun game! We have a plastic set from Toys R Us, but I think I would look for a pin that is stable enough for a young one to set it up themself and not fall over.

*Forts: Can be so much fun!

Places to Go:
*I joined a mom's group on meetup.com and it has provided tons of new friends and entertainment!

*Because of the moms group, I have realized that the park districts in our area each have so many things going on. I always knew about the classes and such you sign up for. But a lot of the districts have open gym time where they pull out toys like climbers and such and let the kids play for a few dollars. The great thing is, you can go outside your district, you just pay a different fee. Unfortunately, most of our districts don't even list these playtimes, you have to call and find out. So start asking around or calling to find all the local toddler hotspots.

*Mall play areas are always a hit. And fun if you can switch around. We have a lot of malls around here.

*Library times: Our library storytimes were not always great for us, but you can go to the library storytimes at all the local libraries. Ours even has a craft portion.

*Pump it up: Ours has local "open bounce" times you can drop in.

*Craft stores, Bookstores, Pet Stores- are all fun places to take kids and spend a little or none and take your time.

Happy Bundling up! It's a whopping 25 degrees out right now. In the sun.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks for this post! I appreciate your suggestions of things to do. This is my first real winter in 8 years, and my first cold winter as a mom . I think in Florida there was only a bout a week a year when a hat was even neccessary. It is freezing cold here in VT, snow on the ground, and the worst is yet to come. Yikes!!!

Becky said...

Great ideas! I think we have a pretty good list going of "out and about" type things to do over the winter, but there are times when it's too cold to even think about leaving the house, and I'm not as good about thinking of indoor games, other than arts and crafts - which we do a LOT of over the winter. I love your ideas for more active-type games!