When they joke on tv about the more wealthy moms needing to decide where to enroll their child in preschool in utero, they aren't really kidding. All the talk amongst moms of my children's ages is when and where you will be enrolling.
For Logan:
He was in two preschools. I chose the one I chose because he wasn't potty trained by enrollment and my neighbor told me it was okay and recommended it to me. Literally, she was driving down the alley and we had this conversation. Thank goodness he likes it! Second year, we chose to continue with what we began. And I've been pleased! Big decision for next year is Kindergarten. I'm pretty sure we'll enroll him in the public K. I've heard great things about it and my neighbor who is a lot like Logan flourished and learned to read well. Only downfall is it is only a few hours long, not a "full-day" which means a third year of drop-off pick-up crazies. Mix that up with Sylvie's own drop-off pick-ups and I may need a chauffer to get them around! There is also the strong possibility that he will get speech services through the school after hourse. And if not, his preschool has a bus that picks kids up for an after-school daycare time at his current school. I figured this might give him the "free-time/play-time" that he'll probably be itchy for.
For Sylvie:
There are 3 preschools in contention for her. The school Logan goes to, the preschool for our church, and the Montessori school. I've heard good about them all. The only real reasons I can think of for switching from Logan's school for her are (1)- We've already been there as a family for 2 years. Why not change it up? (2) It starts late- after 9 am. I start work at 8. Not so easy for any of the babysitters/parents to deal with.
Babysitting/Daycare/School/Activities to enroll in: are such complex things to decide. They may not seem like it to some, but ugh they sure can keep you up at night. Or, you might just start thinking of them obsessively when you are already up because you are getting whacked in the head by your future preschooler.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh you made me laugh so hard about the three wisemen and his thrify friends..... thanks for the hilarious comment!
I understand about the preschool worries too... we are trying to figure out if public K is going to be the right place for The Politician... I'm afraid with is sensory issues, it may not be a good fit right now and I'm not sure how many other issues we have this late in the game.
Kristin, I do worry about this! I would like Mia to be in something by the time she is 3..problem is she turns 3 two weeks too late for the IL requirements for pre-school. But there is a Montessori school just down the street practically, that built a whole new building, and I am thinking of trying to sign her up for that. She is really so smart, and talented and I feel she needs that extra "something" that I am not able to give her at home. And (sniff sniff) we won't have Kathryn forever so she will need to get used to spending time with other kids and people besides us.
I feel very fortunate that our daycare has a great preschool program, so it takes that decision out of my hands, as well as being super-convenient. However, our school district only offers half-day kindergarten (I understand that's the case with most Minnesota school districts, unfortunately). So we will be dealing with the pick-up/drop-off shuffle in a couple more years.
Ah, the life of a mom. Silly me, I thought things would get easier when the kids were a little bit older, but I think the decisions actually become tougher as you go along.
Post a Comment