Me...I'm the person who does sleep, but I still enjoyed plenty of Vegas time with Jorge. The kids were happy and loved on and entertained completely by doting grandparents while I met up with him for a few days. It was weird flying alone. Liberating being able to spend so many hours alone. And terrifying because it's flying so I felt this need to make contact with each person on the plane on my way to the back rows, assuring myself that if they made eye contact, they were not terrorists. I mean, what would I have done if someone gave me a horrible vibe? Whip out baby pictures and start begging? Call security? De-plane? Alas, the angels were flying with me on the way there because there was hardly a bump in the ride. Phew!
Then I got to find my bag, find a cab and find the hotel room at the Venetian. Bliss. Really, could I just move our family there into one hotel room?
And the bathroom....divine. I draw bathrooms like this, but it has been awhile since I've bathed in one. I even knew the name of the line of faucets. Put them in my drawings last week at work. Obsessive me spent the hours I was waiting for Jorge looking at each little connection and trim piece, checking out how they laid out the tile, scratching my head over why the shower head didn't line up with the shower handle, looking at the complicated conditions like stairs. Yup. If I ever get a client that says "Make me a house like the hotel rooms at the Venetian" I'll be happy to oblige.
So, let's see. There were two major highlights there that make me smile to remember them.
1- The show at Treasure Island. So hilarious. And so not kid-friendly, despite the massive numbers of pirate toys in their gift shops and the cool pirate ship. I don't think I'll be bringing Logan and Sylvie to this show. I'm not sure which song was more suggestive, the "Sticky and sweet like honey" song or one about going "all the way." But the costumes sure left nothing to the imagination. The premise being a pirate who boards a ship of all scantily clad women and gets handcuffed, while his buddies rip their shirts off and dive into the water from another ship beconing him to come back. Well, you can imagine it being the kind of show that belongs in Vegas. BUT...it was corny and hilarious and seriously a show! There was fire and song and dance and fireworks and jumping into the water and a sinking ship. Well, I enjoyed it.
2-This morning we walked through the lobby at 5 am half-eyes open and saw such a mix of people it was hilarious! There were tons of people at the casino, having never gone to bed! There was a set of 3 hilarious drunken people all leaning on one another and everyone was stepping aside for them to make their way hopefully all the way to their room before collapsing or spewing. There were people in running clothes in their tiptop physical shape getting ready for a marathon that day. And, when we were waiting for a taxi, there was a fight between two guys waiting. I saw the taxi director raise his arms into his "Fight me, go ahead, I've only had 75 years of Navy Seal Training....I dare you" pose. And 30 seconds later, guys came running in black coats with badges. I halfway expected them to parallel down from the roof. But I definitely didn't feel in any danger. After all, the Venetian has a reputation to uphold, and this guy was talking a lot of smack before the guy he was talking at flung a cigarette in his face. Which resulted in a few slaps, punches and thrown cups of beer. But yeah, those guys aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
All in all, it was a great weekend away, enough adult time to appreciate the little ones and family life all over again.

1 comment:
I love that hotel room! Is that a television over the sink in the bathroom? Ah, if only my house were like that.
I was in Vegas in 2000, and I remember going to the pirate show, but I don't remember it being risque at all! I wonder if the show has changed, or if I just have selective memory? That's hilarious.
Anyway, sounds like you had a good time! Nothing like getting away for awhile to make you appreciate daily life even more.
Post a Comment